The reservoir's historic structures & ecosystems are an opportunity to create a unique environmental education center for our children & their future.

Monday, February 4, 2008

So much for Capt. Green's promise

Only one day after my experience with the two ATV riders I received the following email:

Date: February 4, 2008 8:52:09 AM EST
Subject: Re: ATVs at the reservoir

There was a family of ATV's at the reservoir yesterday. What looked to be a couple on a large four-wheeler, a child on a little four-wheeler, and a teenager on a dirt bike, riding around like they owned the place. It's really getting tore up.

I also received this email from a former park ranger:

Date: February 4, 2008 10:11:58 AM EST
Subject: RE: ATVs at the reservoir

[ ... ] my experience as a park ranger was that often the guys riding the ATVs and the jet skis were off-duty cops, so they never got busted.

As a former park ranger herself, perhaps Commissioner Dorothy Lewandowski is well aware of this fact. If she really wants to solve the problem and isn't just giving us all lip service, I invite her to go with me one Saturday or Sunday morning and stay until the ATVs arrive. After I call 311 to lodge a complaint and the police arrive, stay to see what happens.

It appears that we aren't making enough noise. For this problem to end, I recommend the following:

- Bring your camera and cellphone when you go to the reservoir.
- When the ATVs arrive, call 311 and say something like, "I was walking on the running path at Ridgewood Reservoir in Highland Park and there are ATVs chasing people off the path and tearing up the hillsides."
- Stay until the police arrive and lead them to the ATVs.
- Do not leave until the ATVs and police have left.
- Take lots of photographs.

If you don't want to call the police, just take photos and email them to the address below. Tomorrow I will post the names of the officers from the 104th precinct who responded.

Send us an email

No comments: